Monday, October 22, 2012

Oh the Hollandaise are coming

I love this quick and easy breakfast.
Poached eggs on toast with quick pseudo hollandaise sauce.

Not ever going to cooking school or cooking classes most of what do has been passed down, mentioned along the way, read about or trial and error. Poached eggs have been a challenge for me as i am not one of those microwave gadget junkies, so through trial and error i finally mastered it. A sauce pan full of boiling water just would never work for me. Not only am I impatient waiting for the water to boil but I have found that I have no control of the egg.

I use a large frying pan, one that will be deep enough that the water will cover an egg. I bring the water to a soft boil and add vinegar to water, I just pour it in so I am guessing at about a 1/4 cup. I crack the egg and gently place it in the water and let cook until the white is about done. I gently roll it if I still see the yolk so that all you see on the outside is the white. Then remove with a slotted spoon.

This morning I did not have english muffins so I simply used toast.

As for the hollandaise.... normally to make the real version which btw is quite tasty but very time consuming this is the quick and dirty version I learned from my mom. Grab a tablespoon from the drawer and a small bowl. A heaping spoon of mayonnaise, a squirt or two of yellow mustard a about and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix generously and spoon onto the eggs.... it wouldn't hurt to taste it before incase you may like it a bit more sour or with a more mustardy taste.

I believe the entire process took less than 10 minutes and you have a healthy breakfast to start the day with.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment